Friday, December 28, 2012

The "Braves"

A quick response to this article: "The Atlanta Braves have a new spring training cap, and it may or may not be racist"


I agree that it is probably better to err on the side of over political correctness. It is obviously very difficult to ascertain what effects names like "Braves," (not a derogatory term unlike Redskins) have on education, social assumptions, etc. but if it hurts people's feelings and/or culture then I guess it's bad.

Despite all these very common-sense reasons, I can't help but drag my heels towards a change, at least in this case. Like Rabon argues, Braves is not an derogatory term. I have always felt that team names were meant to inspire pride or at the very least interest, not to put others down. At least that's the way they started, and since then they have become much more than names, they have become symbols. They are things people care for and are connected too, which is why people defend them.
The Big Cat

I, as a Braves fan, can admit that there are reasons to find problems with the name, but I will still argue against a change until there is conclusive evidence that the name is found offensive. I am attached to the name and I take pride in calling myself a Braves fan. I think it is insensitive to ignore potential harm caused by popular use of the term, but also insensitive to ignore the place that the team name has in American culture. It may seem crass, but weigh one against the other: does the name cause more joy or harm?

The 91% indifference rate speaks volumes to me. I think that academics and posturing progressives will argue about the offensive nature of the term "braves," but without regard to what actual minorities affected by phrase may feel. Native American groups have protested against team names like "Braves" in the past and that should be taken far more seriously than Keith Law or any sports pundit.

Again, at the risk of sounding crass or insensitive, is this really the most important issue to be crusading for? Honestly, how many people really think about or care that the baseball team name "Braves" refers to Native Americans? No one thinks about Native American or their stereotypes while watching a game or reading a story about the team. Even if you overheard the word in a conversation you would think "baseball" before "Indian."

I understand you could say that the topic is endemic of the subversion of Native American culture or racial insensitivity and that my previous statement is exactly the kind of indifference that engenders festering apathy. Apathy: who cares?

In all seriousness, it's a barely offensive term that is railed against largely as a symbol of a perceived racial insensitivity problem. I feel like if you weigh the good the name does for people against the harm it causes you will find it's a surprisingly grey area.

I guess I just don't see the need for a change unless a wealth of information or support for an about-face suddenly emerges. However, if this information did come to light and it was obvious that the team name "Braves" was found offensive, I would support a switch.

If the team changed the name, sure I would still root for the Atlanta baseball team because I love the history, the players, and the spirit of the Atlanta blanks. But all of these aspects of the game are collected under a symbol: which is the Brave, the tomahawk, the Chop, etc.

Irregardless, so excited for the 2013 season, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cHKChYZChU

p.s. "The Chop?": From a Seminole (player). no controversy there, whoops https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNa9TB7IAk


No comments:

Post a Comment